What do you think of my lease agreement? Anything left out or anything I should edit?
Florida Residential Lease Agreement
THIS LEASE AGREEMENT (hereinafter referred to as the “Agreement”) made and entered into this ____________ day of ____________________________, 20____, by and between _____________________________________________________________________ (hereinafter referred to as “Landlord”) and _____________________________________________________________________ (hereinafter referred to as “Tenant”).
W I T N E S S E T H :
WHEREAS, Landlord is the fee owner of certain real property being, lying and situated in _______________ County, Florida, such real property having a street address of ______________________________________________________________ (hereinafter referred to as the “Premises”).
WHEREAS, Landlord desires to lease the Premises to Tenant upon the terms and conditions as contained herein; and
WHEREAS, Tenant desires to lease the Premises from Landlord on the terms and conditions as contained herein;
NOW, THEREFORE, for and in consideration of the covenants and obligations contained herein and other good and valuable consideration, the receipt and sufficiency of which is hereby acknowledged, the parties hereto hereby agree as follows:
1. TERM. This Agreement shall commence on ________________________ (“Commencement Date”). [check either A or B]:
____ A. Month-to-Month: This Agreement shall continue as a month-to-month tenancy. If at any time Tenant desires to terminate the tenancy, Tenant may do so by providing to Landlord written notice of intention to terminate. Such notice to terminate must be provided to Landlord at least 30 days prior to the desired date of termination of the tenancy. If at any time Landlord desires to terminate the tenancy, Landlord may do so by providing to Tenant such written notice of intention to terminate at least 30 days prior to the desired date of termination of the tenancy. Notices to terminate may be given on any calendar day, irrespective of Commencement Date.
____ B. Lease: This Agreement shall continue as a lease for term. The termination date shall be on (date) ___________________ at 11:59 PM. Upon termination date, Tenant shall be required to vacate the Premises unless one of the following circumstances occur: (i) Landlord and Tenant formally extend this Agreement in writing or create and execute a new, written, and signed agreement; (ii) local rent control law mandates extension of the tenancy; or (iii) Landlord willingly accepts new Rent from Tenant, which does not constitute past due Rent. In the event that Landlord accepts from Tenant new rent, a month-to-month tenancy shall be created. Either party may terminate this month-to-month tenancy by following the procedures specified in paragraph 1A. Rent shall continue at the rate specified in this Agreement, or as allowed by law. All other terms and conditions as outlined in this Agreement shall remain in full force and effect.
2. RENT. Under the terms of this Agreement, “Rent” shall consist of all monetary obligations owed to Landlord by Tenant in accordance with this Agreement. However, the Security Deposit shall not be considered Rent. Tenant shall pay to Landlord _________________________________________________________ DOLLARS ($______________) per month as Rent for the Term of the Agreement. Due date for Rent payment shall be the 1st day of each calendar month and shall be considered advance payment for that month. If not remitted on the 1st, Rent shall be considered overdue and delinquent on the 2nd day of each calendar month. In the event that the Commencement Date is not the 1st of the calendar month, Rent payment remitted on the Commencement Date shall be prorated based on a 30-day period.
Acceptable forms of payment of Rent to Landlord shall be [check all that apply]: ____ personal check, ____ money order, ____ cashiers check, or ____ other: ________________________________________. Payment shall be made to Landlord under the following name and address: __________________________ ______________________________________________________________.
In the event that any payment by Tenant is returned for insufficient funds (“NSF”) or if Tenant stops payment, Landlord may require in writing that Tenant pay Rent in cash for three months, and that all future Rent payments shall be remitted by Tenant to Landlord by money order or cashier’s check.
3. SECURITY DEPOSIT. Upon the due execution of this Agreement, Tenant shall deposit with Landlord the sum of _________________________________________________________ DOLLARS ($______________) receipt of which is hereby acknowledged by Landlord, as security for any damage caused to the Premises during the term hereof. Such deposit shall be returned to Tenant, without interest, and less any set off for damages to the Premises upon the termination of this Agreement.
Landlord will hold Tenant’s security deposit in an account in the following Florida banking institution: _____________________________________________. Landlord will not commingle the security deposit funds with those funds in the Landlord’s primary bank account. Rather, Landlord will maintain the security deposit funds in a separate non-interest bearing account for the benefit of the Tenant. Accordingly, Tenant will NOT receive any interest on the security deposit.
In accordance with Florida law (Florida Statute Section 83.49), Landlord is required to include in Tenant’s lease the following provisions regarding return of security deposits. Florida Statute Section 83.49(3):
(a) Upon the vacating of the premises for termination of the lease, if the landlord does not intend to impose a claim on the security deposit, the landlord shall have 15 days to return the security deposit together with interest if otherwise required, or the landlord shall have 30 days to give the tenant written notice by certified mail to the tenant’s last known mailing address of his or her intention to impose a claim on the deposit and the reason for imposing the claim. The notice shall contain a statement in substantially the following form: This is a notice of my intention to impose a claim for damages in the amount of $_______ upon Tenant’s security deposit, due to ___________. It is sent to you as required by s.83.49(3), Florida Statutes. You are hereby notified that you must object in writing to this deduction from you security deposit within 15 days from the time you receive this notice or I will be authorized to deduct my claim from your security deposit. Tenant’s objection must be sent to (landlord’s address). If the landlord fails to give the required notice within the 30-day period, he or she forfeits the right to impose a claim upon the security deposit.
(b) Unless the tenant objects to the imposition of the landlord’s claim or the amount thereof within 15 days after receipt of the landlord’s notice of intention to impose a claim, the landlord may then deduct the amount of his or her claim and shall remit the balance of the deposit to the tenant within 30 days after the date of the notice of intention to impose a claim for damages.
(c) If either party institutes an action in a court of competent jurisdiction to adjudicate the party’s right to the security deposit, the prevailing party is entitled to receive his or her court costs plus a reasonable fee for his or her attorney. The court shall advance the cause on the calendar.
(d) Compliance with this section by an individual or business entity authorized to conduct business in this state, including Florida-licensed real estate brokers and sales associates, shall constitute compliance with all other relevant Florida Statutes pertaining to security deposits held pursuant to a rental agreement or other landlord-tenant relationship. Enforcement personnel shall look solely to this section to determine compliance. This section prevails over any conflicting provisions in chapter 475 an in other sections of the Florida Statutes, and shall operate to permit licensed real estate brokers to disburse security deposits and deposit money without having to comply with the notice and settlement procedures contained in s.475.25(1)(d).
4. USE OF PREMISES. The Premises shall be used and occupied by Tenant and Tenant’s immediate family, consisting of ______________________ __________________________ ____________, exclusively, as a private single family dwelling, and no part of the Premises shall be used at any time during the term of this Agreement by Tenant for the purpose of carrying on any business, profession, or trade of any kind, or for any purpose other than as a private single family dwelling. Tenant shall not allow any other person, other than Tenant’s immediate family or transient relatives and friends who are guests of Tenant, to use or occupy the Premises without first obtaining Landlord’s written consent to such use. Tenant shall comply with any and all laws, ordinances, rules and orders of any and all governmental or quasi-governmental authorities affecting the cleanliness, use, occupancy and preservation of the Premises.
5. CONDITION OF PREMISES. Tenant stipulates, represents and warrants that Tenant has examined the Premises, and that they are at the time of this Lease in good order, repair, and in a safe, clean and tenantable condition.
6. ASSIGNMENT AND SUB-LETTING. Tenant shall not assign this Agreement, or sub-let or grant any license to use the Premises or any part thereof without the prior written consent of Landlord. A consent by Landlord to one such assignment, sub-letting or license shall not be deemed to be a consent to any subsequent assignment, sub-letting or license. An assignment, sub-letting or license without the prior written consent of Landlord or an assignment or sub-letting by operation of law shall be absolutely null and void and shall, at Landlord’s option, terminate this Agreement.
7. ALTERATIONS AND IMPROVEMENTS. Tenant shall make no alterations to the buildings or improvements on the Premises or construct any building or make any other improvements on the Premises without the prior written consent of Landlord. Any and all alterations, changes, and/or improvements built, constructed or placed on the Premises by Tenant shall, unless otherwise provided by written agreement between Landlord and Tenant, be and become the property of Landlord and remain on the Premises at the expiration or earlier termination of this Agreement.
8. NON-DELIVERY OF POSSESSION. In the event Landlord cannot deliver possession of the Premises to Tenant upon the commencement of the Lease term, through no fault of Landlord or its agents, then Landlord or its agents shall have no liability, but the rental herein provided shall abate until possession is given. Landlord or its agents shall have thirty (30) days in which to give possession, and if possession is tendered within such time, Tenant agrees to accept the demised Premises and pay the rental herein provided from that date. In the event possession cannot be delivered within such time, through no fault of Landlord or its agents, then this Agreement and all rights hereunder shall terminate.
9. HAZARDOUS MATERIALS. Tenant shall not keep on the Premises any item of a dangerous, flammable or explosive character that might unreasonably increase the danger of fire or explosion on the Premises or that might be considered hazardous or extra hazardous by any responsible insurance company.
10. UTILITIES. Tenant shall be responsible for arranging for and paying for all utility services required on the Premises.
11. MAINTENANCE AND REPAIR; RULES. Tenant will, at its sole expense, keep and maintain the Premises and appurtenances in good and sanitary condition and repair during the term of this Agreement and any renewal thereof. Without limiting the generality of the foregoing, Tenant shall:
(a) Not obstruct the driveways, sidewalks, courts, entry ways, stairs and/or halls, which shall be used for the purposes of ingress and egress only;
(b) Keep all windows, glass, window coverings, doors, locks and hardware in good, clean order and repair;
(c) Not obstruct or cover the windows or doors;
(d) Not leave windows or doors in an open position during any inclement weather;
(e) Not hang any laundry, clothing, sheets, etc. from any window, rail, porch or balcony nor air or dry any of same within any yard area or space;
(f) Not cause or permit any locks or hooks to be placed upon any door or window without the prior written consent of Landlord;
(g) Keep all air conditioning filters clean and free from dirt;
(h) Keep all lavatories, sinks, toilets, and all other water and plumbing apparatus in good order and repair and shall use same only for the purposes for which they were constructed. Tenant shall not allow any sweepings, rubbish, sand, rags, ashes or other substances to be thrown or deposited therein. Any damage to any such apparatus and the cost of clearing stopped plumbing resulting from misuse shall be borne by Tenant;
(i) And Tenant’s family and guests shall at all times maintain order in the Premises and at all places on the Premises, and shall not make or permit any loud or improper noises, or otherwise disturb other residents;
(j) Keep all radios, television sets, stereos, phonographs, etc., turned down to a level of sound that does not annoy or interfere with other residents;
(k) Deposit all trash, garbage, rubbish or refuse in the locations provided therefor and shall not allow any trash, garbage, rubbish or refuse to be deposited or permitted to stand on the exterior of any building or within the common elements;
(l) Abide by and be bound by any and all rules and regulations affecting the Premises or the common area appurtenant thereto which may be adopted or promulgated by the Condominium or Homeowners’ Association having control over them.
12. DAMAGE TO PREMISES. In the event the Premises are destroyed or rendered wholly uninhabitable by fire, storm, earthquake, or other casualty not caused by the negligence of Tenant, this Agreement shall terminate from such time except for the purpose of enforcing rights that may have then accrued hereunder. The rental provided for herein shall then be accounted for by and between Landlord and Tenant up to the time of such injury or destruction of the Premises, Tenant paying rentals up to such date and Landlord refunding rentals collected beyond such date. Should a portion of the Premises thereby be rendered uninhabitable, the Landlord shall have the option of either repairing such injured or damaged portion or terminating this Lease. In the event that Landlord exercises its right to repair such uninhabitable portion, the rental shall abate in the proportion that the injured parts bears to the whole Premises, and such part so injured shall be restored by Landlord as speedily as practicable, after which the full rent shall recommence and the Agreement continue according to its terms.
13. INSPECTION OF PREMISES. Landlord and Landlord’s agents shall have the right at all reasonable times during the term of this Agreement and any renewal thereof to enter the Premises for the purpose of inspecting the Premises and all buildings and improvements thereon. And for the purposes of making any repairs, additions or alterations as may be deemed appropriate by Landlord for the preservation of the Premises or the building. Landlord and its agents shall further have the right to exhibit the Premises and to display the usual “for sale”, “for rent” or “vacancy” signs on the Premises at any time within forty-five (45) days before the expiration of this Lease. The right of entry shall likewise exist for the purpose of removing placards, signs, fixtures, alterations or additions, that do not conform to this Agreement or to any restrictions, rules or regulations affecting the Premises.
14. SUBORDINATION OF LEASE. This Agreement and Tenant’s interest hereunder are and shall be subordinate, junior and inferior to any and all mortgages, liens or encumbrances now or hereafter placed on the Premises by Landlord, all advances made under any such mortgages, liens or encumbrances (including, but not limited to, future advances), the interest payable on such mortgages, liens or encumbrances and any and all renewals, extensions or modifications of such mortgages, liens or encumbrances.
15. TENANT’S HOLD OVER. If Tenant remains in possession of the Premises with the consent of Landlord after the natural expiration of this Agreement, a new tenancy from month-to-month shall be created between Landlord and Tenant which shall be subject to all of the terms and conditions hereof except that rent shall then be due and owing at ______________________________________________________________ DOLLARS ($___________) per month and except that such tenancy shall be terminable upon thirty (30) days written notice served by either party.
16. SURRENDER OF PREMISES. Upon the expiration of the term hereof, Tenant shall surrender the Premises in as good a state and condition as they were at the commencement of this Agreement, reasonable use and wear and tear thereof and damages by the elements excepted.
17. ANIMALS. Tenant shall be entitled to keep no more than __________ (____) domestic dogs, cats or birds; however, at such time as Tenant shall actually keep any such animal on the Premises, Tenant shall pay to Landlord a pet deposit of ______________________________________________________________ DOLLARS ($_________), ______________________________________________________________ DOLLARS ($_________) of which shall be non-refundable and shall be used upon the termination or expiration of this Agreement for the purposes of cleaning the carpets of the building.
18. QUIET ENJOYMENT. Tenant, upon payment of all of the sums referred to herein as being payable by Tenant and Tenant’s performance of all Tenant’s agreements contained herein and Tenant’s observance of all rules and regulations, shall and may peacefully and quietly have, hold and enjoy said Premises for the term hereof.
19. INDEMNIFICATION. LANDLORD SHALL NOT BE LIABLE FOR ANY DAMAGE OR INJURY OF OR TO THE TENANT, TENANT’S FAMILY, GUESTS, INVITEES, AGENTS OR EMPLOYEES OR TO ANY OTHER PERSON ENTERING THE PREMISES OR ANY BUILDING THAT IS A PART OR LIES UPON THE PREMISES, OR TO GOODS OR EQUIPMENT, OR IN THE STRUCTURE OR EQUIPMENT OF THE STRUCTURE OF WHICH THE PREMISES ARE A PART, AND TENANT HEREBY AGREES TO INDEMNIFY, DEFEND AND HOLD LANDLORD HARMLESS FROM ANY AND ALL CLAIMS OR ASSERTIONS OF EVERY KIND AND NATURE. THIS INDEMNIFICATION INCLUDES, BUT IS NOT LIMITED TO, ANY DAMAGE OR INJURY WHICH MAY BE INCURRED BY TENANT, TENANT’S FAMILY, GUESTS, INVITEES, AGENTS OR EMPLOYEES OR TO ANY OTHER PERSON FOR DAMAGE OR INJURIES THAT ARISE FROM ANY CONTACT, ATTACK OR INTERACTION FROM OR WITH ANY ANIMALS, DOMESTIC OR WILD, WHETHER SUCH DAMAGE OR INJURY OCCURS ON THE PREMISES OR OFF, AND TENANT HOLDS HARMLESS THE LANDLORD FROM ANY AND ALL CLAIMS OR ASSERTIONS OF EVERY KIND AND NATURE FOR ANY DAMAGE OR INJURY TENANT ATTRIBUTES TO ANY ABSENCE OR FAILURE OF FENCING THAT MAY BE ON OR SURROUNDING THE PREMISES.
20. DEFAULT. If Landlord determines that the Tenant is in default of this Agreement, Landlord shall provide Tenant with a notice of default, and Tenant shall have a limited number of days to cure the default unless otherwise excepted: (a) for the failure to pay rent when due, Tenant shall have three (3) days to cure; (b) for activities in contravention of this Agreement (including but not limited to having or permitting unauthorized pets, guests, or vehicles; parking in an unauthorized manner or permitting such parking; or failing to keep the premises clean and sanitary), the Tenant shall have seven (7) days to cure. If Tenant fails to cure the default within the required time frame, Landlord may immediately terminate this Agreement, and Tenant shall immediately vacate the Premises and shall return the keys to Landlord. However, if Tenants default is of a nature that Tenant should not be given an opportunity to cure the default (including but not limited to destruction, damage, or misuse of Landlord’s or other tenants’ property by intentional act or a subsequent or continued unreasonable disturbance), or if the default constitutes a subsequent or continuing default within twelve (12) months of a written warning by Landlord of a similar violation, Landlord may deliver a written notice to Tenant specifying the default and Landlord’s intent to terminate this Agreement. In such event, Landlord may terminate this Agreement, and Tenant shall have seven (7) days from the date that the notice is delivered to vacate the premises. In addition, if this Agreement is terminated pursuant to this paragraph, Landlord may, at Landlord’s option, declare the entire balance of rent payable hereunder to be immediately due and payable and may exercise any and all rights and remedies available to Landlord at law or in equity.
21. LATE CHARGE. In the event that any payment required to be paid by Tenant hereunder is not made within three (3) days of when due, Tenant shall pay to Landlord, in addition to such payment or other charges due hereunder, a “late fee” in the amount of ______________________________________________________________ DOLLARS ($__________).
22. ABANDONMENT. If at any time during the term of this Agreement Tenant abandons the Premises or any part thereof, Landlord may, at Landlord’s option, obtain possession of the Premises in the manner provided by law, and without becoming liable to Tenant for damages or for any payment of any kind whatever. Landlord may, at Landlord’s discretion, as agent for Tenant, relet the Premises, or any part thereof, for the whole or any part thereof, for the whole or any part of the then unexpired term, and may receive and collect all rent payable by virtue of such reletting, and, at Landlord’s option, hold Tenant liable for any difference between the rent that would have been payable under this Agreement during the balance of the unexpired term, if this Agreement had continued in force, and the net rent for such period realized by Landlord by means of such reletting. If Landlord’s right of reentry is exercised following abandonment of the Premises by Tenant, then Landlord shall consider any personal property belonging to Tenant and left on the Premises to also have been abandoned, in which case Landlord may dispose of all such personal property in any manner Landlord shall deem proper and Landlord is hereby relieved of all liability for doing so. BY SIGNING THIS AGREEMENT, TENANT AGREES THAT UPON SURRENDER OR ABANDONMENT, AS DEFINED BY CHAPTER 83, FLORIDA STATUTES, LANDLORD SHALL NOT BE LIABLE OR RESPONSIBLE FOR STORAGE OR DISPOSITION OF THE TENANT’S PERSONAL PROPERTY.
23. ATTORNEYS’ FEES. Should it become necessary for Landlord to employ an attorney to enforce any of the conditions or covenants hereof, including the collection of rentals or gaining possession of the Premises, Tenant agrees to pay all expenses so incurred, including a reasonable attorneys’ fee.
24. RECORDING OF AGREEMENT. Tenant shall not record this Agreement on the Public Records of any public office. In the event that Tenant shall record this Agreement, this Agreement shall, at Landlord’s option, terminate immediately and Landlord shall be entitled to all rights and remedies that it has at law or in equity.
25. GOVERNING LAW. This Agreement shall be governed, construed and interpreted by, through and under the Laws of the State of Florida.
26. SEVERABILITY. If any provision of this Agreement or the application thereof shall, for any reason and to any extent, be invalid or unenforceable, neither the remainder of this Agreement nor the application of the provision to other persons, entities or circumstances shall be affected thereby, but instead shall be enforced to the maximum extent permitted by law.
27. BINDING EFFECT. The covenants, obligations and conditions herein contained shall be binding on and inure to the benefit of the heirs, legal representatives, and assigns of the parties hereto.
28. DESCRIPTIVE HEADINGS. The descriptive headings used herein are for convenience of reference only and they are not intended to have any effect whatsoever in determining the rights or obligations of the Landlord or Tenant.
29. CONSTRUCTION. The pronouns used herein shall include, where appropriate, either gender or both, singular and plural.
30. NON-WAIVER. No indulgence, waiver, election or non-election by Landlord under this Agreement shall affect Tenant’s duties and liabilities hereunder.
31. MODIFICATION. The parties hereby agree that this document contains the entire agreement between the parties and this Agreement shall not be modified, changed, altered or amended in any way except through a written amendment signed by all of the parties hereto.
32. WAIVER OF JURY TRIAL. LANDLORD AND TENANT HAVE SPECIFICALLY WAIVED THE RIGHT TO A JURY TRIAL CONCERNING ANY DISPUTES WHICH MAY ARISE CONCERNING THIS AGREEMENT, SPECIFICALLY BUT NOT LIMITED TO, ANY ISSUES INVOLVING TENANT’S TENANCY.
33. RADON NOTIFICATION. Pursuant to Florida Statute 404.056(8), the following disclosure is made: “RADON GAS: Radon is a naturally occurring radioactive gas that, when it has accumulated in the building in sufficient quantities, may present health risks to persons who are exposed to it over time. Levels of radon gas that exceed federal and state guidelines have been found in buildings in Florida. Additional information regarding radon and radon testing may be obtained from your County Public Health Unit.”
34. NOTICE. Any notice required or permitted under this Lease or under state law shall be deemed sufficiently given or served if sent by United States certified mail, return receipt requested, addressed as follows:
If to Landlord to:
[Landlord’s Address]If to Tenant to:
[Tenant’s Address]Landlord and Tenant shall each have the right from time to time to change the place notice is to be given under this paragraph by written notice thereof to the other party. TENANT HEREBY WAIVES HIS OR HER RIGHT TO NOTICE PURSUANT TO FLORIDA STATUTE 715.104.
35. ADDITIONAL PROVISIONS; DISCLOSURES.
[Landlord should note above any disclosures about the premises that may be required under Federal or Florida law, such as known lead-based paint hazards in the Premises. The Landlord should also disclose any flood hazards.]
As to Landlord this ______ day of ________________________, 20_____.
Sign: ___________________________________ Print: _________________________________ Date: ______________
As to Tenant, this ______ day of ________________________, 20_____.
Sign: ___________________________________ Print: __________________________________ Date: ______________
Sign: ___________________________________ Print: __________________________________ Date: ______________
Sign: ___________________________________ Print: __________________________________ Date: ______________